Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sweet potato casserole for toddlers (or any hungry adult)

So, Samuel is no longer a baby, but he still loves sweet potatoes. I have bought the microwavable ones (wrapped in plastic and sold individually). They work great, and I added butter and brown sugar to them! Samuel has also had an Outback sweet potato with butter and brown sugar and was delighted. Last week I decided to make a sweet potato dish that my mom has been making forever. Samuel had eaten it at her house, so I knew he already liked it before I went to the trouble to make this. It's a recipe from the Williamsburg Cookbook. My mom was over last week, and we made them together. Enjoy! The recipe below is my toddler friendly version of the Williamsburg recipe.

King's Arms Tavern Sweet Potatoes
(8-10 adult servings)

5 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
3. Cook sweet potatoes in boiling salted water until done. (We put the potatoes in cold water. Once the water was boiling, we turned the heat down to 3 and kept the lid on. Once the water was boiling, it took about 30 minutes. Just check your potatoes with a fork and make sure that you can poke it all the way in easily before you take them out.)
4. Peel and mash potatoes well.
5. Stir in all of the remaining ingredients and use electric mixer to get ride of lumps. (I did this on a high speed, but watch for flying sweet potatoes.)
5. Put mixture into prepared casserole dish.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. (I didn't cook it right away, so I refrigerated it and when I was ready to cook it, I cooked it longer- like 35-40 minutes.)

Since I don't love sweet potatoes, I decided to freeze this in ice cube trays (just like baby food). Once they froze, I put the cubes in ziplocs like Amy suggested. When I want to give them to Samuel, I take 3 cubes out of the freezer, defrost them in the microwave until warm, and voila! It's a great way to give your little one a vegetable! Since Samuel is a picky vegetable eater (like his mommy), I will be making this recipe often!

No comments:

Post a Comment