Sunday, January 6, 2008

Chocolate Cake by Martha Stewart



On Friday, Jeremy and I watched Martha Stewart's show. Jeremy isn't a dessert person, but after seeing her make a chocolate cake, he was sending me off to the store to buy the ingredients. Would you believe that Wal-mart didn't have a single box of cake flour? We ended up going to Bi-lo later that day, and I made the cake on Saturday. That is the first cake I've made from scratch. Now I know why... It's very time consuming, and then the homemade icing was even more time consuming. I'm not complaining because it made Jeremy happy. I just won't be making another one next week.

I definitely recommend this cake and icing recipe. Just keep in mind that it is very rich... The cake is actually called Devil's food cake. I don't know the difference and couldn't taste the difference. Maybe someone could enlighten me. To me, it was chocolate cake.

I think the cake turned out well. Jeremy and my parents agree. (My Kitchen Aid mixer was a huge help. The paddle attachment worked wonderfully.) Tonight I took a piece to 4 neighbors, and I will be curious to see what they thought. I warned them that it's my first cake from scratch. I'm sure the next one will be better.

One suggestion- Despite what the recipe says, set your timer for 25 minutes and check the cakes with a knife or toothpick. ( I set my timer for 30 minutes but wish I had set it for 25.)

Moist Devil's Food Cake with Mrs. Milman's Chocolate Icing

No comments:

Post a Comment