Monday, September 17, 2007

Lap Time and Egg Salad Sandwiches

This was an eventful day! First of all, it was cooler outside today, which made me happy!!! Samuel and I started Lap Time at the public library this morning. It's a 30-minute program full of nursery rhymes, songs, stories, and play time. It exceeded my expectations! Samuel seemed to enjoy it, which made me happy since this is a free alternative to other paid toddler programs in our area. Once Samuel is 2 or 3 years old, I might spend money on some sort of music class or gym class, but for now I'm going to save my money and keep going to the public library on Mondays.

This afternoon I did an inventory of my freezer and pantry. I was ashamed to see how much unused food we have in the house. Now I need to plan some menus to use up the food before I spend more money adding to the abundance we have. Since I wasn't up to the task of planning a big meal tonight, I decided to make egg salad sandwiches using a recipe I found in The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook. I checked out 5 cookbooks from the public library on Saturday, and I'm going to search for recipes that interest us. That way I'm not paying for a cookbook with only a handful of recipes that I would cook. I thought I would share the egg salad recipe with you. It's not like egg salad takes much effort or intelligence to put together, but I enjoyed having a guideline. I didn't follow it completely because Jeremy and I don't love celery, and I also don't like the idea of butter on my sandwich. I am happy to say that Jeremy was pleased with the recipe. Jeremy is quick to tell me if he doesn't like something, so I was happy to have found something that he likes!

Poetical Egg Salad Sandwiches

4 eggs
1 celery stalk
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
a pinch of pepper
1/4 cup softened butter
2 tablespoons dried mint or parsley
8 slices of fresh bread

1. In a small saucepan cover eggs with cold water - at least 1 inch above the eggs. Place saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.

2. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cover it. Let the eggs stand in the hot water for 25 minutes. Empty the hot water into the sink and fill with cold running water until eggs have cooled down.

3. Meanwhile wash celery stalk. Chop it into tiny pieces.

4. Peel the eggs. Add them with the chopped celery to a small mixing bowl and mash them together with a fork.

5. Stir the mayonnaise, salt and pepper into the egg mixture. Set the egg salad in the refrigerator.

6. Mix the softened butter with the dried parsley in a small bowl. Set aside.

7. Butter one slice of bread. On the other half spread the egg salad. Put together and cut in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment